Accelerated Masters Programs | College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences | The University of Vermont(title)

Reducing both the time and the cost of an advanced degree, any of our nine accelerated master’s programs (AMPs) at the College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences (CEMS) will provide new research and learning opportunities to launch your career.

What does the AMP offer?

Barrett Scholar Ena Ibrisimovic studied the growth of silver nanowires, with Professor Frederick Sansoz.

Through an AMP, you can earn a Master of Science in as little as one additional year after completion of your bachelor’s degree. Students can double-count two pre-approved courses (6 credits) at the 200 (approved for graduate credit) or 300 level taken during their senior year towards both bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Students can take one additional pre-approved graduate course (3-credits) during their senior year that will count only towards the MS degree.

AMP students therefore require only 21-24 additional graduate credits to complete their MS following completion of their bachelor’s degree. Another bonus: there is no GRE required for admission to any CEMS AMP.

Offering a 30% Discount on Academic Year Tuition for Credits Taken Post Bachelor's

How to apply for an Accelerated Master's Program

Frequently asked questions

What AMP programs are available in CEMS?
  • Biomedical Engineering
  • Biostatistics
  • Civil and Environmental Engineering
  • Complex Systems and Data Science
  • Computer Science
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Mathematics
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Statistics
Who is eligible?

UVM undergraduate students should apply in the fall or spring of their junior year when they have 2-3 semesters remaining in their BS program and should meet the following requirements:

  • Two or three semesters remaining before completion of their bachelor's degree
  • A minimum 3.2 GPA (some exceptions may be made, if warranted)
  • Sufficient prerequisite coursework for the master's program that is being applied to.
What degree options are available through the AMP?

Some AMP programs offer one or more of the following options:

  • Coursework only option
  • Project option (requires agreement of a project advisor)
  • Thesis option (requires agreement of a thesis advisor)

All three of the above options require 30 graduate credits for completion.

Not all programs provide the same options. Connect with the specific AMP program you are interested in to learn what degree options are available.

Is funding available for AMP students?

Students pursuing a thesis-based MS are often supported as an undergraduate research assistant (URA) while still an undergraduate student, and then change to a graduate research or teaching assistant (GRA or GTA) when they graduate with their Bachelor’s degree and become a regular graduate student.


Students pursuing course-based or project-based MS degrees are typically self-funded. Self-funded AMP students will receive a partial tuition scholarship of 30% of the tuition cost for the remaining 21-24 graduate credits taken after completion of the Bachelor's degree, provided the student maintains a GPA of at least 3.0 in their graduate work  


Accelerate your career

Accelerated Entry into Master’s Degree programs are designed to allow current UVM undergraduate students to initiate
graduate coursework while still an undergraduate, thus decreasing the time and cost to obtain the master’s.

How to apply

What are the course prerequisites for the different M.S degrees in CEMS?

  • Each Master's program has its own course prerequisites.
  • Consult the Graduate Catalogue and/or the Graduate Program Director for the particular program you're interested in to determine whether or not you will have completed the necessary prerequisites by the time you complete your Bachelor's degree.
  • Students who are missing 1 or 2 prerequisites may be given a conditional admission to the AMP, but would have to complete these courses in addition to the credits applied to the Master's degree.
Links to Specific Graduate ProgramsGRE required?Coursework Option?Project Option?Thesis Option?Graduate Program Director
Biomedical EngineeringNoYesYesYesAmber Doiron
BiostatisticsNoYesYesYesJeff Buzas
Civil and Environmental EngineeringNoYesYesYesEric Hernandez
Complex Systems & Data ScienceNoYesYesNoNick Cheney
Computer ScienceNoYesYesYesByung Lee
Electrical EngineeringNoYesYesYesMads Almassalkhi
MathematicsNoYesNoYesJoan Marie Rosebush
Mechanical EngineeringNoYesNoYesFrederic Sansoz
StatisticsNoYesYesYesRich Single
PhysicsNoYesYesYesValeri Kotov

How and when do I apply?

Prospective AMP students must apply for admission through the Graduate College.

Applicants will automatically be considered for partial tuition scholarships; no separate application is necessary.

The AMP Permission form (PDF) is a required part of the application and requires both a signature from first, the Faculty Graduate Program Coordinator and then CEMS Graduate Program Coordinator, Jane Kimble, at (listed as the Undergraduate Dean’s Office signature).   Prospective AMP students must also notify the appropriate Graduate Program Director as to:

  • which courses they would like to double-count for both Bachelor's and Master's degrees (for this they can consult a faculty and/or Graduate Program Director affiliated with the particular graduate program)
  • whether they're planning to do a coursework only, project, or thesis option, and
  • for project or thesis options, who has agreed to be their graduate advisor (note that upon starting their Master's degree, the thesis/project advisor can be changed)

Applications are typically completed in the second semester of the junior year, but must be completed at least one month before the semester in which the student wishes to take courses that will double-count for both Bachelor's and Master's degrees so that there is enough time to be admitted to the Graduate College before coursework that will double count is taken. 

AMP Permission form (PDF)

Graduate Program application instructions